Assignments

Research Skills Assignment

Research Skills Exercise

MLA STYLE GUIDE

Musical Analysis Assignment

Guidelines. Please note: even though this assignment is to be posted to your blog, it does NOT count as a journal-post.

Links to projects from last semester that were particularly noteworthy. Please don’t be intimidated by either the technical knowledge or writing skills of some of these students. But I do hope you are inspired by their creativity and the depth of their analysis. It is fine to write about songs that others have analyzed– just make sure to insert your own perspective and insights on the material.

Back Street Boys, “I Want it That Way”

Rhianna, “Cold Case”

Tortoise, “I Set My Face to the Hillside”

Extra Credit, due 12/13:

Worth up to 5 points toward your overall average in the course.

Visit the Louis Armstrong House and Museum in Corona. Take the house tour, and save your receipt to turn in with your paper.

Write a 4-5 page paper responding to the tour. Include detailed descriptions, as well as your own reflections on what you learned about Armstrong. The strongest papers will link Armstrong’s history and biography to the readings and issues we’ve discussed in class.

Directions to the House are posted at http://www.louisarmstronghouse.org/
Louis Armstrong House
34-56 107th Street
Corona, NY 11368

Tuesday-Friday: 10am-5pm
Saturday and Sunday: 12noon-5pm
(last tour everyday is at 4pm)

Admission
Adults: $8
Seniors, students, and children: $6
Group rate: $6
Current Members: Free

Guided 40-minute tours of the House leave every hour, on the hour. We accept group reservations; if you are planning on bringing a group (8 or more), please call the House at 718-478-8274 to make an appointment.